I have a love hate relationship with sugar cookies. I love eating them but I hate baking them. The rolling, shaping, frosting, sprinkling…it just takes too long!
I found this recipe originally in a Gooseberry Patch cookbook but I have edited the directions a bit. This recipe also makes the perfect amount of cookies — about 24 — so its enough to satisfy your craving without all the labor. The recipe also moves along quick enough that my “helper” (i.e. Emma) didn’t lose interest.1 box yellow cake mix (you could really use any flavor you like) 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 eggs beaten flour
1) Combine the first four ingredients in a medium sized bowl; stir until smooth. The dough will be very sticky.
2) Place batter onto a floured surface. Sprinkle additional flour on top of the dough. Knead flour into the dough until it is not so sticky and can be more easily worked with.
3) Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out using cookie cutters.
4) Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes or until tops golden and sides are slightly brown.
5) Let cool before frosting with your favorite frosting and decorations.