Looking for something fun to do on this rainy Friday afternoon? Try making your own donuts in honor of National Donut Day! The recipe can’t get any simpler…
1 roll of refrigerated biscuits (7.5 oz can)
3 cups Canola oil
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoon milk
Apple Glaze Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons apple juice
1) Slowly heat Canola oil in 1 quart saucepan.
2) While warming, remove biscuits from roll. Separate. Using a biscuit cutter, remove center of biscuit to make a “donut.” Let rise for several minutes.
3) Brown donuts in oil (2-3 minutes on each side).
4) Have fun with the toppings! Dip warm donuts in one of the glaze recipes above and then roll in nuts, chocolate chips or sprinkles! You can also roll them in plain powdered sugar or a cinnamon/sugar mixture. Don’t forget to cook the “holes” and dip those in toppings too.
Join us on Wednesday, June 13 for an evening of food, fun and festivities as 5 Corners Bed & Breakfast celebrates their 5 Year Anniversary!
The Networking and Open House kicks-off at 4:30pm and lasts till 8:00pm. Tour the guest rooms, enjoy complimentary refreshments and register to win our famous Brunch for Six. Be sure to bring a friend!
Following the Open House, head out into the streets of downtown Amherst for the first Walkin’ on Wednesdays; Main Street Amherst’s new summer event full of free family entertainment.
For more information, please call (440) 984-3084.
Making the perfect Hard Boiled Egg is really simple. I tried for many years – sometimes they were not done or too done – to find the perfect system. This one works great!
1) Place eggs in a large saucepan.
2) Fill saucepan with enough COLD water to cover the eggs.
3) Bring to a boil.
4) Once the water is boiling, turn off heat and cover saucepan. Set timer for 12 minutes.
5) When timer goes off, immediately place eggs in an ice bath. This will help with peeling.
6) Keep eggs in bath for at least 10 minutes or until well chilled.
More and more of our guests are in need of gluten-free diet. Here is a super simple way to have a sweet treat!
2 tablespoons chocolate chips
2 to 3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons milk (or almond milk for our vegan friends)
1/2 cup oats
Optional: 1 tablespoon of any dry ingredient you would like to add such as: sunflower seeds, raisins, extra chocolate chips, cocunut flakes, nuts, etc.
1) Melt the first three ingredients together in the microwave using 30 second intervals, stirring each time.
2) Add the oats and any optional ingredients. You will want this mixture to be fairly dry (I probably ended up using close to one cup of oats all together). If its not dry enough, add more oats one tablespoon at a time.
3) Press mixture into bars or balls. I lined a small Pyrex baking dish with scranwrap to make removing the bars easy. I cut mine at this point.
4) Put in the fridge for 30 minutes or until bars harden.
Here is a recipe that’s super easy to make! You won’t even need to make a midnight run to the grocery store; the recipe calls for things that you probably have in your fridge!
5 Corners Breakfast Tulips
4 pieces thinly sliced lunch meat (we typically use ham but roast beef also works well)
4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
dried chives or parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spray 4 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
3. Line each cup with a slice of meat.
4. Crack egg and drop into center of each cup.
5. Top with cheese and chives or parsley.
6. Bake for 17-20 mintues depending upon oven. Serve alongside toast, juice and fresh fruit and your Valentine will be smitten!