At this year’s Wine & Chocolate Walk, I ventured out to try something a little different…homemade lollipops! These are easy to make (although if you are making 325 like I did it will take you some time). Just be patient and don’t walk away from the stove! These would be great for a bridal shower or Bachelorette party.
Each recipe makes 16-18 lollipops.
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon Smirnoff Kissed Caramel Vodka
2 tablespoons cool water
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1) Place silicone mat or parchment paper on baking sheet. Tip – make sure whatever you lay on your cookie sheet is totally flat otherwise your hot candy will run making for some funny looking lollipops. You can also use a lollipop mold but I don’t feel it is worth the expense.
2) Mix together 1/4 cup Vodka, water, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a 2-quart saucepan until sugar is wet. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally and gently with a heat resistant spoon.
3) Boil to 300 degrees F without stirring.
4) Immediately remove from heat and working quickly add 1 teaspoon Vodka. Mix well. Be careful – the hot sugar will bubble up.
5) Still working quickly, drop teaspoons of syrup onto the baking sheet. Add stick before the syrup cools. Be sure to twist it so it adheres firmly to the candy.
6) Store lollipops in an air tight container.
Recipe originally posted by Hostess with the Mostess (she shows great step-by-step photos).
What a great time to visit Lorain County! One of the most exciting new developments from over this LONG winter is the new Common Ground Zipline Canopy Tour.
Fly through the trees on an experience that is memorable, exhilarating and definitely worth repeating with Common Ground’s new Zipline Canopy Tour. As northern Ohio’s only world-class canopy tour, this zipline travels through all types of terrain including beautiful meadows and the steep valley walls of the beautiful Vermilion River Valley. It features a combination of fast ziplines, soaring aerial bridges, aerial staircases, foot paths, rappel stations and uncommon views of the natural landscape. The longest zipline is roughly 850 feet. Each guided tour will be 2.5 to 3 hours long and will feature information about the land, its inhabitants and its resources.
The Canopy Tour is scheduled to open mid-June. Tickets are $85 per person. Participants must be at least 10 years old and weigh between 70 and 250 pounds. Online reservations will be available on the Common Ground website beginning in late April. Common Ground is located 5 miles west of Oberlin on Baird Road. Common Ground also offers a ropes course.
More information will become available on the Common Ground website within the next few weeks. Make it a weekend — Common Ground is just 20 minutes from 5 Corners Bed & Breakfast plus enjoy all there is to see and do including the Backroads & Beaches Mulit-Sport Trail (biking, rollerblading, running) and the Vermilion-Lorain Water Trail (kayaking and paddleboarding). Lorain County is a fantastic place to escape reality for a day, a long weekend or even a week! There is truly something for everyone…from zipping through the trees to soaking up rays on a sandy beach. Enjoy fantastic restaurants, fine wines and micro-brews. Take in the beauty of fine art and the rustic appeal of a unique flea market find. Its all right here in Lorain County.
Over the last six years, the #1 thing guests have requested is a room with multiple beds. With so many families visiting for reunions, weddings or to tour Oberlin College, a two+ bed suite was necessary!
The new Sandstone Suite is perfect for families, longer stays or as a vacation rental. The suite is located kitty-corner from the main house so it has lots of privacy and functionality. The first bedroom features a queen-size pillowtop bed while the second bedroom offers two twin beds.
The suite also includes a private kitchenette with fridge, coffee maker and microwave. You’ll enjoy breakfast in the privacy of your suite with fresh muffins, breads, cereal, yogurt, fruit and more provided each morning.
$169/night (two night minimum) – This room offers an exclusive discount: stay five nights and your sixth night is free!
- Bedroom 1 offers a queen size pillowtop bed and sitting area with 42″ flatscreen TV, DVD player and over-sized chair
- Bedroom 2 offers two twin beds and 40″ flatscreen TV with DVD player
- The two bedroom suite has a shared bath with shower
- Kitchenette with fridge, microwave and coffee maker
- Luxury Bed Linens & Towels
- Antique Dresser
- Ceiling Fans in both bedrooms and kitchen
- Large closet area to store suitcases, clothes and coats
- Hair Dryer
- Alarm Clocks
- Central Air
- Cable Television in both bedrooms
- Free Wireless Internet
- Iron and Iroining Board
- Enjoy a freshly prepared continental breakfast each morning in the comfort of your suite